Thursday, November 6, 2008

Taking Maura to the Polls

Maura was out of school Tuesday for the election so when I went to vote I brought Maura with me. While my decision to bring Maura along was made for me by a lack of alternative child care arrangements, I am glad that she was with me when I went to cast my ballot. Though Maura won’t be old enough to vote for twelve years I believe it is important that she learn the importance of voting now. By seeing her parents vote and discussing with us the importance of voting I hope that Maura comes away with an appreciation of the fact that participation in elections is a basic duty of all citizens regardless of their political beliefs and affiliations.

I am not very politically active. In fact I detest politics and outside of the voting booth I would rather avoid it all together. I have never contributed to a political campaign or volunteered my time to a political cause. I don’t plan on doing so in the future. I do believe in the duty of all citizens to come to the polls and vote. The right to vote is the most basic political right in any representative government. In the ballot box all citizens are equal (or at least they should be) and each vote carries the same weight. Voting is the fundamental way that citizens influence the behavior of their government. To not vote is to resign yourself to living with a government that does not represent you. While I have often lacked enthusiasm for the candidates among whom I was called to choose, I have chosen to exercise my right to vote in general elections since I was first able to do so.

While I am sure that I will not instill any enthusiasm for politics in my daughter since I have none, I hope that when she is of age she goes to the polls at every election out of duty, if for no other reason. If, unlike me, she finds excitement in politics, then I wish her the joy of it.

No comments: