Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Walk for Hunger

Last Sunday Maura, Jennifer and I walked in the 40th annual Walk for Hunger as the Ellett Family Team. As a team we walked a total of 41 miles. Maura and Jennifer walked to the lunch stop at Daley Field, 10½ miles from the starting line on Boston Common. I parted company with them after lunch and finished the 20 mile course, arriving back at the Common tired and footsore but proud of my accomplishment.

We got up bright and early on Sunday morning to take the T downtown to check in and start the walk. We completed our check in and headed out around 8 o’clock. The first few miles were very pleasant. The weather was almost perfect for walking, cool but not cold, with a high overcast most of the day. We set a good pace for the first several miles. Maura at first thought she might want to do the whole 20 miles but she started to get tired around mile 6. By mile 8 she was almost ready to quit. With some encouragement, Jennifer and I convinced her to continue to the lunch stop where we took a long break. Walking 10½ miles is a great achievement for a six-year-old and I’m very proud of her.

After lunch I said goodbye to Maura and Jennifer and continued with the walk. My legs and feet were already starting to get sore and by mile 15 I was limping along, but I kept on with it until I reached the end of the course, finishing around 3 o’clock in the afternoon. The second half of the course was lonely and painful but I would happily do it again. Maura and Jennifer took the shuttle bus back to the Common from Daley Field to enjoy the free festival there and were waiting to meet me when I staggered up to the final checkpoint. I checked in, received a certificate of achievement for completing the course and collected a free ice-cream before collapsing on the grass. It was a long day for everyone but on the whole we enjoyed ourselves and felt good about helping to raise money to feed the hungry. We are planning to walk again in two years and may make the Walk for Hunger a regular family event.

No comments: