Friday, November 6, 2009

Golf at the Library

Last Sunday we had a family outing to our local library to play miniature golf. The library had set up an 18-hole miniature golf course winding through the stacks, complete with greens, obstacles, and flags in the holes. The course wound from the circulation desk, through the reference area, the main stacks, the periodicals area and then down the stairs to finish in the children’s room. There were many challenging holes and a few easier ones. Maura and I both managed a hole-in-one shooting down the stairs, but it was luck for both of us. For five dollars a round we all had a great time, though we could all have done with a bit more practice. Including five dollars worth of raffle tickets the whole outing cost us $20, about what it would have cost us to go to a movie.

Unlike going to see a movie this family outing had a purpose beyond entertainment and family togetherness. The library isn’t usually open as a miniature golf course on Sunday. They tried it once as a fundraiser and by all appearances it was a big success. The links were busy when we got there and by the time we left there was a line of people waiting for their turn. I have high hopes that the library association reached its funding goals and more. In this era of tight state budgets our libraries are chronically underfunded and the money they do receive is often under threat. They can use all the extra help they can get and I urge you to support your local library. Your support may be what is needed to keep it open, relevant and free too patrons.

For me, I can think of no other public institution that directly benefits me as much as my library. I can indulge my reading habit without impoverishing myself and, even more important, keep Maura supplied with books to encourage her love of reading. Even in the age of the Internet the library remains one of the best sources of information available and a first stop for research projects when the quality of the information counts. For those who lack Internet connections at home the library offers access to the Net for free and without the need to own a computer. For me the library is also often my office, a place where I can work without the distractions of home and the place where I can connect with my town and escape the feeling of isolation that days at home can give. I cannot imagine living without the library and I hope the resources and the will can be found to keep it, and all of our local libraries, open and vital for the future.

No comments: