Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Maura's Choice

I’d planned a big adventure with Maura on Friday but I had to give up my plans to make her happy. I'd planned to take her to Plimoth Plantation, the living history museum that recreates the first Pilgrim settlement at Plymouth. It was Plimoth Plantation’s week to take part in Free Fun Friday, so our admission would have been free. Even though she’d been there recently on a field trip from school she said she wanted to go and I have no doubt would have enjoyed the day. I’d let her wander where she wanted and linger in the places that interested her most. She’s always enjoyed history when she can take it at her own pace and ask her own questions.
Then something came up. Her maternal grandfather (she calls him Papa) called to invite her to lunch on Friday. I might have suggested another day but Maura is busy this week and there was no good time. Her grandfather lives in Florida and though he’ll be in Massachusetts for most of the summer there might not be that many opportunities for them to spend time together. While I’d be disappointed not to spend the day on another adventure with my daughter I had to let her make the choice of what she wanted to do. It was the only fair way for me to make a decision.
Maura chose lunch with her Papa. They went to Friendly’s and then to Nantasket Beach to ride the carousel and play ski ball. I didn’t go along to see for myself but Maura clearly had a wonderful time. I spent the afternoon relaxing and working at home, alone. I missed the fun we might have had together but I’m glad I gave her the choice. Maura and I will have many more opportunities to have adventures together before she goes back to school and we'll make the best of them.

No comments: