Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Blessed Union, Big Party


Last Saturday the Ellett family traveled to Nashoba Valley Winery. We have been there many times but this trip was special. We attended the wedding of our close friends Rebecca Tatum and Mike Long. I was privileged to be one of Mike’s groomsmen and all of us were honored to be guests.
The ceremony was beautiful. It was well thought out, simple, and went off without a significant hitch. The bride and groom made “the happy couple” more than a euphemism. The joy that showed on their faces illuminated the event even better than the bright summer sunshine.
The reception that followed the ceremony was a grand success. There was a fine meal. Wine and beer flowed freely without anyone seeming to be obnoxiously drunk. The many children amused themselves without ever becoming much of a nuisance. The guests danced, chatted, and danced some more. Only the most determined to be depressed failed to have a wonderful time.
It was Maura’s first formal party with adults present. She got to wear a new dress and her mother painted her nails with sparkly pink polish. She got to dance with her father and she behaved like a perfect lady, even when I accidentally stepped on her toe. That little incident aside I think she enjoyed herself as much as I did.
I love weddings. I wish I had the opportunity to attend more of them. Being present as other people celebrate their love for each other reminds me of how much I love Jennifer and Maura. Every time I’m at a wedding I feel like I am renewing and strengthening my own wedding vows. I wish Mike and Becca and all other newly married couples the joy and contentment I receive every day from my own family.

No comments: