Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Holiday Traditions


In our interfaith family the holiday season is very busy. Chanukah has started and Christmas is coming soon. We celebrate both holidays with or own traditions—some drawn from our families and others unique to us. Our holidays would not be complete if we skipped any of them.
Chanukah comes first, of course. The first day of Chanukah is my deadline for holiday shopping—I always try to get all of it done before the first night of Chanukah, no matter how early it falls. I feel lucky when Chanukah is early. I might have my shopping done by Thanksgiving and not have to worry about it during December. There always has to be eight presents for everybody for Chanukah so everyone can open one each night after we light the candles on the menorah. Most of them are small and practical, especially in these financially stressful times, but appreciated nonetheless. Even practical things can be fun.
Our Chanukah food is potato latkes. At other times of the year we bake latkes and they come out of the oven crisp and tasty enough to satisfy everyone but the Chanukah latkes have to be fried and they are the best. We always have them for dinner one night during Chanukah. We make a big pile and eat nothing but latkes  accompanied by plenty of sour cream and applesauce. I look forward to it all year.
Our Christmas celebration is just as important for the family and it also goes on for days, though not for eight of them. Sometime before Christmas we decorate the house. We don’t have room for a big tree but we set up a small table tree that Maura decorates with enough ornaments that it’s hard to see the green beneath them. I string lights around the living room to give the house a festive air and our gifts are piled on the piano and on the floor under the piano bench.  Most of them come from my parents.
The Christmas celebration starts on Christmas Eve. It starts with supper, always soup or chili. For me the most significant part of it is the evening service at my church with Christmas carols and candles. It always fills me with peace and joy no matter what emotions the season has brought to me before then. Since I worked in retail through the last ten Christmases I have been in dire need of both most years. When I get home we read “A Visit from Saint Nicholas” and Maura gets to open one gift before she goes to bed, my family tradition from my childhood. We let her pick one, but we won’t let her open the best one. She also makes up the plate of cookies for Santa, complete with a carrot for the reindeer.
In the morning Maura wakes to find her stocking filled with small gifts and one more present added to the pile from Santa Clause. If she is up before her parents she gets to explore her stocking, also a tradition from my family. When we were young my sister and I would be up by 6:00 am on Christmas but my parents wanted to sleep in. We could wait to open our gifts because we had small surprises small surprises to keep us occupied. It works with Maura, too. Once we are all up we enjoy our Christmas breakfast of Christmas cookies, clementines and eggnog lattes while we open our presents. It’s always fun to watch Maura open hers while the cat's chase each other through the piles of discarded wrapping paper.
Later we get to the best part of the day, dinner. Our Christmas dinner is always duck. We don’t eat duck any other time of the year but we all look forward to the Christmas feast and won't eat anything else unless we are having guests in which case we cook a goose. We always have shrimp as an appetizer but the rest of our meal is different each year. It is always carefully planned and lovingly prepared. We always finish with a decadent desert. We’ve never made the same dinner twice but it’s always a feast to be anticipated and afterwards remembered, my favorite meal of the entire year.

No comments: