Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Back to School


Soon Maura and I will both be students. I have decided to go back to school to add to the considerable education I already possess. I’ve applied to a Web Development Certificate program through the University of Massachusetts at Lowell. It may be a while before I’m officially in the program—I made up my mind to go back to school only a few weeks ago and I will be surprised if my application is processed before the spring semester starts next week. Nevertheless I will be starting classes next week. Non-degree students can register for classes without being accepted into any program and I’m now registered for nine credits worth of courses in the spring semester.
I’m looking forward to being back in school. My memories of student life are some of the best of my life, though I do recall it can be difficult at times. It’s been more than a decade since I last set foot in a classroom as a student. It may be much longer before I'm in class again. With this program I won’t be physically attending any classes but taking them on-line. UMass Lowell is too far away for a regular commute and I plan on taking all my classes over the internet. I may never set foot on campus at all.
I’m sure I will enjoy being a student, despite not meeting my classmates or instructors face-to-face. I am not going back to school for the fun of it, though. Regular readers of Travels with Maura may recall that I’ve been out of work since May. My job search has not gone well. Too many of the available jobs wouldn’t pay enough to cover daycare for Maura and the costs of getting to work. I have seen plenty of web development jobs advertised though. I have no doubt that it would be a far better job for me than selling insurance or cell phones.
Being a student will give me a chance to set a good example for Maura. She’ll see me studying and doing my homework. Maura is a conscientious student but it can’t hurt to have a positive adult example to motivate her in her studies. In a year I hope I can show her an example of what good study habits can bring—a good new job.

No comments: