Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mother’s Day Adventure


Mother’s Day was Jennifer’s day and after breakfast we went where Jennifer wanted to go. She chose a trip to the SoWa Open Market. Open Sundays 10 to 4 from May to October, the Open Market is a showcase for artists and artisans. It is located in a parking lot off Harrison Avenue in the South Washington neigborhood of Boston. There are all manner of original artworks and handmade goods on sale to match almost any taste. Food is provided by an array of Boston’s gourmet food trucks, with enough variety to offer lunch for almost any taste as well. In the next parking lot is a concurrent farmers’ market and the SoWa Vintage Market, selling antiques and vintage clothing, is indoors next door. Also nearby are a collection of artsy stores and galleries, most open for business during the market.
Jennifer and Maura enjoyed the trip immensely. They both enjoy shopping and there was plenty to look at. Jennifer particularly enjoys knitting and textiles. Jennifer looked at clothing that she could use in a Steampunk costume. Maura likes anything that features cats. She found a set of handmade magnets with cartoon cats on them that she liked and could afford to buy.
I mostly looked for a place to sit down but I didn't find one. In a perfect world I would fill my space with cool handmade items but as things stand I can’t. When I’m not able to buy I find shopping a bit depressing. I get no thrills from looking at cool goods for sale that I can’t possibly afford. For me the highlight of the day was a snack of hot dill pickles from the Grillo’s Pickles Cart. We buy them at Whole Foods to eat at home but they are every bit as good on the street. I hope I didn't bring Jennifer down by being unenthusiastic about shopping. It wasn't my intention to throw a wet blanket on her fun day.

No comments: