Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Growing Up and Moving On



This afternoon I went to Maura’s school for my very last Field Day lunch with my daughter. Every year since she was in kindergarten I’ve gone to school on Field Day to sit with her and have a hotdog. This will be the last year. Fourth grade is the final year of primary school in Weymouth. Next year she’ll be at Abigail Adams Middle School. I don’t know that they have a field day but I suspect if they do they don’t invite the parents to lunch.

Maura and I are both looking forward to middle school. The school is closer and Maura is older so she’ll be walking herself to school next year. She’s already made plans to walk with some of her friends. I’ll have more time because I won’t have to drop her off or pick her up. The school day is also more convenient for me. I’ll be able to get started sooner and I won’t be forced to take breaks at awkward times. Change is always disruptive but my life will be easier once I am used to the new schedule.

Though I’ll be happy when Maura is in middle school the end of primary school is a bittersweet time. Maura is growing up and it is happening fast. It seems like yesterday that she was starting school for the first time. Maura had just turned five a week before when we took her for her first day of kindergarten. She was eager to get started but also a little scared. Her mother and I felt the same way. Now in just over a week I’ll be dropping her off at Seach School for her last day as a student there. It hardly seems like it’s been five years.

Along the way Maura has learned a lot. She’s quite accomplished at reading, writing and arithmetic. She does her homework with little prompting (she still needs to be reminded to do her chores). She calls her friends on the phone and has an email address. Before she heads to middle school we will get her a cellphone of her own. Five years ago all of that was in the future. I can hardly imagine what the next five years will bring.

No comments: