Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Corn Festival


On Sunday afternoon we had a family outing to the Corn Festival at the South Shore Nature Center in Norwell, Massachusetts. The festival featured local crafters, corn themed crafts and games for kids, food featuring more corn, live music, corn tastings, hayrides, animals brought by the local 4H clubs, a bake sale and the Nature Center itself, along with the woods around. There was an admission charge for the festival but it wasn’t excessive, especially since it included admission to the museum which is well worth a visit. Some of the attractions at the festival cost extra, though except for food and a few inexpensive items purchased at the crafters’ booths we kept our wallets closed once we had paid our admission. Except for the museum, and the bake sale and corn tasting which were inside, the festival was outside. The weather was almost perfect—warm in the sun but not too hot. It was a great day to be out.

The crafters’ had their booths set up closest to the entrance so we spent some time shopping when we first arrived. Jennifer and Maura always enjoy shopping, especially when the merchandise is hand made. I’m often board by shopping but I had a better time than I usually do. One of the crafters present was demonstrating weaving on a small table loom and I tried it out. It was very relaxing and I’m considering getting one for myself. Jennifer knits and is teaching Maura but I don’t think I have the dexterity for it or the patience to learn. Weaving has a rhythm to it that I think I would enjoy. Taking up a fiber art of my own would make visiting yarn stores and fiber festivals with Jennifer much more fun.

After shopping, Maura and I had lunch. Jennifer had already eaten so she didn’t join us. We both had corn chowder which was very good. So was the corn muffin we split for desert. Later we all split some homemade caramel corn.

After lunch Maura went to the kids’ area to do some crafts and Jennifer stayed with her. I went with them for a bit but then found a seat near the music. There was a singer with a guitar who was often accompanied by a mandolin player and occasionally by the sound-man on a banjo. His repertoire was a mixture of old rock songs, folk songs, country and bluegrass. I enjoyed his performance and would happily go to see him again; unfortunately I never caught his name. There was nothing posted and if he had introduced himself I arrived to late to hear it.

No comments: