Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving in the Ellett household was a time of peace and reflection this year; at least once the preparations for the feast were complete. Because our extended family members were far away or busy elsewhere we shared our feast with our good friends the Tittlers, then feasted again with them at their house on Friday. It was quite easy to resist the temptation to go shopping on Black Friday. The weekend as a whole was quite relaxing and there was plenty of time to contemplate the many things for which I am thankful.

On Wednesday evening we attended the interfaith Thanksgiving service at the Old Ship Church, in Hingham, Massachusetts. Attending the service has become a family tradition as important as the turkey, perhaps more important. This was my second year of attending but Jennifer and Maura have been going for longer. Before last year I had to work and couldn’t get the time off. The service draws from the variety of faiths represented on the Hingham-Hull Interfaith Religious Council and is the one religious service each year that all members of our interfaith family can attend and feel equally at home. It is always a beautiful service and a reminder that Thanksgiving is, at its heart, a religious holiday, though one that transcends the boundaries that divide faiths.

Thanksgiving is a time to count your blessings and despite troubles my blessings are many. I have a loving family and loyal friends. When it comes to material things I have enough despite tough economic times. I try to be truly thankful for the things that I have because I know that what I have is truly worth being thankful for.

No comments: