Thursday, January 10, 2013

Maura Skates at the Colonials


Maura’s Synchronized skating team skated last Sunday in the Colonials at the Tsongas Center in Lowell, Massachusetts. It was the largest meet she’s yet been in and unlike at the others her team had competition. They skated very well but Maura's team placed third in a field of three. The Tsongas Center was by far the most comfortable venue I’ve watched figure skating in. Though a third of the stands were blocked off there were still plenty of seats and it was comfortably warm. I wish all the competitions were held in places so nice. On the downside tickets cost $22.00 each.

Maura’s team skated about as well as they ever have despite one of her teammates skating on a possibly broken toe. They came in third partly because they had only eight girls on their team and the other teams were larger.  Larger teams get the benefit of the doubt because more skaters make errors more likely. I’m not sure they would have won even if they had been equal in size. I could see a few spots in their routine where they were just a little out of synch and I’m sure the judges could see mistakes I could not. Unlike me, they know what they are looking for.

Maura was upset when she found out that her team had come in last but she got over it eventually. I’m glad Maura cares a little about winning now. It will help motivate her to work a bit harder to improve.  Despite the loss it was a good experience for Maura. She had been talking about dropping out of synchronized skating but now she has decided to stick with it. I’m glad that she has. I think she will enjoy it more as she gets more experienced and develops her skills. She will also not always the youngest person on her team. She would miss out if she quit now. If keeps on with synchronized skating I expect that some day she will find a place on a more advanced team and get to compete in some of the larger and more prestigious competitions. That will be an experience she'll tell her children and grandchildren about some day.

No comments: