Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Maura on Ice

Maura has been taking figure skating lessons for a year and a half now. She has enjoyed being on the ice from the start and has made enormous progress. By now she’s learned all the basic moves and has started to learn how to put them together. Her enthusiasm has never flagged and she gets excited every time there is any prospect of ice time. At the same time she is very serious. When she is practicing a move and fails to do it to her satisfaction she shakes her head and does it again until she feels she’s gotten it right. I am very proud.

Recently Maura has expressed interest in going beyond taking group lessons. Jennifer and I asked her if she wants to compete and she is eager to give it a try. With financial assistance from her grandparents (she’s their only grandchild after all) we’re getting her private coaching starting this summer and her coach will be working out a routine for her to perform in competition in the fall. I don’t know how she’ll do but if she does not do well it won’t be from lack of effort. Maura concentrates well for an eight year old especially when she’s focusing on something she really loves.
Competition won’t start for Maura until October but she’s got a big ice skating event this Saturday. The rink where Maura takes her lessons has an ice show every spring and Maura is participating in it for the first time. In addition to her Monday afternoon lesson she has rehearsals this week. Her Mother and I are looking forward to seeing her perform. Some of our friends are planning to come and see her too. Maybe I’ll make a sign to hold up wishing her well. Then again, maybe I won’t. I don’t want to distract her or embarrass her.
In any case, when I see Maura skating I know the hours I’ve spent shivering at the rink have been worth it. I’m very glad she’s found something to be passionate about and I hope she keeps it up, whether she does well in competition or not.

No comments: