Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Writers Without Borders

Last week I had two major accomplishments. The first was to successfully apply for unemployment benefits. That was an exercise in patience. I called the Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance phone number and then waited on hold for what seemed like hours before an agent could take my call and process my claim. Once I got off hold things were much easier. The woman who interviewed me was polite and efficient and seemed genuinely helpful and friendly. To tell the truth, I expected nothing different. My experience with employees of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, at least the ones I’ve dealt with on the phone, is that they are usually very helpful, if somewhat hard to reach. I’m sure it doesn’t hurt that I try to be pleasant in return.

My other accomplishment was to start a writers’ group. I’ve felt for some time that I need a support group of other writers willing to give my work a critical yet sympathetic eye in return for my own considered opinion, when asked for, of their own efforts. Now that I’m seriously considering writing for a living I’m also interested in sharing leads on work and tips on the business side of writing. In the end it doesn’t matter how good you are if nobody reads you or at least pays you.

The meeting went very well for an organizational meeting. We met around a booth in the seating area of my local Whole Foods Market to discuss our aims and goals. I came prepared with agendas and some speeches since I didn’t know who might show up. I also brought my sidekick, Maura. She says she wants to be a writer someday and it won’t hurt her to get some ideas about what writers do (besides write of course). Four of my writing friends showed up. Two were colleagues from Borders; two were old friends from other places. Everyone had known Maura since she was very small and no one minded when she put her two cents in, which she did very intelligently. We all reminded her to wipe the chocolate smears of her face from the chocolate gelato I bought her as a treat.

We’ll be meeting again in another week. I’m looking forward to it. I won’t be bringing Maura to the next meeting, which will be in the evening, but I will bring her to future meetings. She wants to share her work. When I do bring her to another meeting and she does share her work I expect her to listen to the critiques she gets. Maybe I’ll ask her to write a post for this blog and have that critiqued by the group. I’d love to see her write a Travels with Daddy post someday.

No comments: