Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Journey Begins.....

About six months ago, fresh from the triumph of landing my first paid writing job since I was in grad school in the '90s, I started considering what to do next. I was working on a travel book and was interested in doing another one. I needed a local topic, since I don't have the money to actually travel, so as with my as yet unfinished first book, I would cover the Boston Metropolitan Area, where I live. I looked around for a fresh angle that would set my new book apart from other Boston travel books on the market. I found my daughter, Maura.

Maura is five years old. She plays soccer and does gymnastics. She likes Poly Pocket and My Little Pony. She loves doing almost any kind of art project and she writes and illustrates her own stories. She also enjoys outings with her mother and I. We take her hiking on local trails. We take her out to eat (she like calamari) and we take her to museums, which she loves.

Since Maura enjoys museums almost as much as I do I decided to write a book tentatively titled Maura's Guide to Boston Museums for Kids (and Their Parents). I'd enlist Maura's help as research assistant and begin by visiting as many museums in the Boston area together as we could. Maura is enthusiastic about the project and has told all her friends that she's going to write a book with her Daddy. Now I have to do it.

No comments: