Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Party with the Animals, Sunday August 24th

Sunday afternoon was Maura's birthday party at Dalby Farm. Maura and her mother and I were joined by many of her friends and relations for more birthday celebrations. Everyone had a wonderful time on a nearly perfect afternoon.

Dalby Farm, located in Scituate, Massachusetts, keeps rare breeds of farm animals including goats, sheep, pigs, geese, ducks and chickens. They breed some of the animals to help preserve the endangered breeds. They also keep some more common chickens for eggs. The very friendly folks who run the place gave children and tag-along parents a tour of the farm. We got to feed the goats and Maura chose Pepper, the Nigerian Dwarf goat as her party animal. We all got to pet him. He was remarkably calm and gentle with all of the children, including the grown up ones.

After the farm tour we retired to the party barn for cake and ice cream. The kids didn't eat much of the cake so there were plenty of scraps to feed the chickens. I sneaked off to watch them eat. It was one of the highlights of the day for me. Chickens don't have very good manners and the mess they make of chocolate cake is rather comical.

After desert the kids had a haystack hunt. They got to dig through a pile of hay for treats. Finding the goodies in the hay was harder than it looked. It was easy to find a few things but tough to find all of them. The kids really enjoyed themselves and they all came out of it with full bags of goodies. They didn't want to stop looking. When we left Maura got a picture of Pepper and a T-shirt from the farm as parting gifts to help her remember her trip to the farm.

Everyone at the farm was amazingly friendly. They seemed to be having almost as much fun as we were and clearly enjoyed their work on the farm, both with the animals and their human visitors. Cheryl, who introduced us to the animals, even sent us a note to thank us for coming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how I found your blog but I did. After reading through it I'm surprised to learn you're a freelance writer. I couldn't help but notice many grammatical errors through your stories. I hope you have a good editor. Good luck with your book idea.

Curtis Ellett said...

I never claimed to be a successful freelance writer. Although I have been paid for writing, at this stage in my career "writer" is more of an aspiration than a job description. Clearly I need to work on my self-editing skills.

Thank you, anonymous, for commenting. This is the first proof I've had that anyone outside of my family has read any of my posts.